Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Spacer & Standoff data


Taken from the main Mechanical Bolt Manufacturers page [covering Nuts, Bolts, and most other hardware]; I started a new page for Spacers and Stand-off manufacturers. Most manufactures produce all types of hardware so this was only done to provide a place to add common characteristics for stand-offs and Spacers.

Because of bandwidth issues I also added a new USB page to show the USB Cable Diagram. The original USB page still shows the cable cut-out but in a thumbnail instead of a full pick. So the gif file on that page went from 9K to 3K bytes. Only people that need to see the cable diagram need click the thumbnail to pull in the full 9k byte graphic. This assumes only some percentage of visitors will need that graphic, saving 6k bytes of server bandwidth ~ 240MB per month.

Ya know, I also noticed that the two graphics on the USB section were downloaded at different rates. There are sites out there that link to a gif, rather than a page. When they link to a gif the server sees the download, while the web site page is never viewed. So they take my pic file, and my bandwidth, but never give me a page hit ~ The visitor on the other site thinks the graphic is local. When I see this occurring I change the gif file name or trade it out with a site banner ~ so they down load the banner instead of the graphic.


I've also started to change the Google search bar so it defaults to search interfacebus.com first. However, at the same time some pages still don't have a search bar at all yet. At this point only about a dozen pages have been up-dated with the new search bar ~ looks the same.

No comments: