Sunday, January 17, 2010

Via Stubs


Started a new page to cover Via Stubs in Printed Circuit Boards [PCB]. The page is linked off the definition of Via Stub, as a read more kind of thing.

A Via stub is a via that runs past the layer a trace is on. For example a trace on the layer 3 needs to connect to a trace on layer five but the via runs from the top layer to the bottom layer, the stub is the portion of the via that extends past layer 5 running to the bottom layer. A via stub is the same thing as a transmission line stub.

A related page covers How to Terminate a Trace.

Anyway, it's a start to cover the topic, I'll keep working on it for another few hours.
Graphic; Plated Through Hole via in a 6 layer Printed Wiring Board.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

3/13/2010 Ok I just checked to see how the High-speed via stub page was doing ~ not good. The via page has only received 7 hits and half of those could be me?

Now when I just did an on-site Google search the page didn't even show up, until I 'repeat search with duplicate entries'. So that means the page needs a little help so it doesn't appear identical to the definition of Vias in the PCB dictionary. Guess I'll do that now....